Thursday, May 5, 2011

Suburban Blooms

I have not been able to get out exploring much this spring, sadly, but I am enjoying my small suburban yard and surrounding woods looking for some blooming natives to get my 'fix' until I can get out into the wild. One of my favorites that does well in the woodland garden is Foamflower, Tiarella, a small plant with tiny white spikes of flowers and heart-shaped leaves.



Some other favorites: Goldenseal, Hydrastis candadensis, Twinleaf, Jeffersonia diphylla, and White Trillium, Trillium grandiflorum.









Every woodland garden should have Jack-in-the-Pulpit and Wild Ginger, wich has a tiny red 'star' hiding under the leaves.















We try to use native shrubs in our landscaping, and those that have worked well are Blackhaw, Viburnum prunifolium, Black Chokeberry, Photinia melanocarpa, and Gray and Rough-leafed Dogwood (not pictured). Spicebush and Paw-paw, growing wild in the woods, help attract two beautiful butterflies to our yard: Spicebush and Zebra Swallowtail.

No comments:

Post a Comment