Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Smathering of Flowers

I have been on quite a few botanical forays in the last month or so and thought it might be nice to throw some of those photos up for you to enjoy.

Marsh Marigold, Caltha palustris, was a plant so beautiful that I couldn't resist taking a bunch of pictures. If you look closely, you can see the faint nectar guides on the petals, thin lines leading to the center of the flower, that tell the bees where the goods lie.

Wherry's Catchfly, Silene caroliniana ssp. wherryi, is a rarity that will knock your socks off. This beauty is related to Fire Pinks and Royal Catchfly, but instead of red, it is a brilliant pink.

Barren Strawberry, Waldsteinia fragarioides. I really had to work for this one. I fell in the creek twice, got tangled up in some greenbrier and slid down a hill in the mud. Somedays, sigh, I am not very graceful. :)

This Mayapple, Podophyllum peltatum, was blooming along with many others in a large patch located at Southeastway Park.

Wild Hyacinth, Camassia scilloides, is another Southeastway specialty. The delicate ice blue flowers scattered across the forest floor are truly breathtaking.

I was so pleases this picture turned out. It was taken in the pouring rain after scurrying up a small hill. This is a Whorled Pogonia, Isotria verticillata, and it doesn't bloom every year. Rick Gardner, who has been practically everywhere in the state of Ohio, had never seen this in bloom. This told me this wasn't a flower to be missed!

Showy Orchis, Galearis spectabilis, is a gorgeous tiny wonder. This was a good year for them, with many found in Adams and Scioto County, Ohio.

The blossoms of Pinkster Azalea, Rhododendron nudiflorum, reminds me of a little girl's party dress that is perfectly pink with layers of ruffles. The fragrant flowers smell amazing.

Yellow Lady's Slipper, Cypripedium pubescens, look like little dutch shoes. This is one of my personal favorites.

Wild Columbine, Aquilegia canadensis, with its red and yellow flowers, is a hummingbird magnet.

Wild Geranium, Geranium maculatum, always makes me smile. There is a large patch at Southeastway that I walk by almost everyday in the spring.

The flowers of Pawpaw, Asimina triloba, form before the plant leaves out. The remind me of deep burgandy roses.

Indian Paintbrush, Castilleja coccinea, is a hemi-parasite. This plant can photosynthesize, yet will steal nutrients from other plants, as well.

"My woodland bretheren, it is good to be green." So sayeth Jack, who is preaching from the pulpit. Jack-in-the-Pulpit, Arisaema triphyllum, also forms clusters of brilliant red berries in the summer.

I was a little overwhelmed with ADD during this shot. A Pine Warbler was singing overhead, Henry's Elfin butterflies were dancing on the road, a grasshopper was daring me to chase it and these beauties were begging for me to take their picture. These are Birdsfoot Violets, Viola pedata.
And lastly, a lovely azure Long-spurred Violet, Viola rostrata. Rostrata means "beaked" and that beaked, pinocchio-like extension makes this violet easily identifiable.

No comments:

Post a Comment